The story of Pontevedra - Zero Waste Cities

 

The story of Pontevedra

Spain

The Spanish province of Pontevedra, which includes 61 northern municipalities, had for a long time extremely low waste management results with only 9% of its waste being separately collected, leaving the remaining 91% to be transported more than 100 kilometres away to be either burned or landfilled.

To shift from this unsustainable, centralised and expensive waste management system, and to comply with the EU recycling obligations, the province launched a project named “Revitaliza which built a decentralised, community-led composting system for biowaste relying on 3 key factors:

  • A suitable location for the composting process to be conducted at, which has been adapted to the area’s specific needs and context
  • The design and implementation of an effective monitoring system to ensure the success of the process, by identifying and solving issues that arise throughout the implementation phase
  • A strong communication plan

In 2019, after only 3 years, the Province achieved ambitious results:

  • More than 2,000 tonnes of biowaste were locally composted
  • The project rolled-out in more than two-thirds of the province’s municipalities

Download the Case Study

Further questions?

Contact us if you want more information on the case study

CONTACT US

Other Best Practices

Learn from the frontrunners how a city can move towards zero waste

DISCOVER ALL

The story of Sălacea

Romania

The small county of Sălacea in Romania tells a remarkable Zero Waste success story, establishing itself as a best practice that can be replicated in rural communities across Romania.

START

1%

Waste recycling rate

NOW

40%

Waste recycling rate

The story of Bruges

Belgium

After assessing that 750,000 kg of food were wasted every year, the city of Bruges launched an ambitious Zero Food Waste strategy, becoming a European forerunner with up to 43% of food Waste prevented in the Healthcare sector.

START

11%

Food waste prevented in the healthcare sector

NOW

43%

Food waste prevented in the main local hospital 

europe-logo

Supported by the LIFE Programme of the European Union. This website does not necessarily reflect the views of the donors.

Get Your Free Monthly Zero Waste Updates

Subscribe to our newsletter